Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ode to an Ogre: 'Shrek the Third' Has Another Sunny Day in Far Far Away


When I saw the first Shrek in the theater I had a bitter taste in my mouth, even before I got to see it. Why? Quite simply because that big green ogre pummeled The Lion King at the box office, which at the time was the king of animated movies. The Lion King was and still is my favorite animated film, but my feelings towards it have evolved into a love and devotion I can't exactly explain. It was unfair of me to reject the admiration people felt for the first film, especially before I had a chance to see it. But I have to admit that even then, I loved every second of Shrek. It was the spoof of Disney fairy tales I had always been waiting for, with more than enough magic to hold its own weight. It approached familiar legends and stories with a sense of realism and contemporary gags I've never considered and the result was engagingly wonderful. Now comes 'Shrek the Third' which does seem a little redundant, but has enough charm and laughs to make it a worthy sequel.

In a way, these Shrek movies go beyond the boundaries of their fairy tale character's private lives. It's not like we found out how Cinderella’s love life was or how many kids Sleeping Beauty had. This time around, what would be the happily ever after in any other animated film is actually the conflict. Princess Fiona's father has died and it is up to Shrek to take his rightful place as king. This is something Shrek has no intentions of doing. Maybe it is too much to ask a swamp loving reclusive ogre to spend his afternoons ruling Far Far Away while drinking English tea? Soon Shrek discovers an alternative: have Fiona's cousin Prince Artie wear the crown. But right before Shrek has a chance to leave to find Artie, Princess Fiona drops the baby bomb on Shrek. Certainly, the pressure of ruling a kingdom and parenting fears are themes that would go right over the heads of kids, but it did add a mature element that I enjoyed.

Meanwhile, Prince Charming, one of the villains from the second film, is hatching his plan to overthrow the monarchy of Far Far Away, giving him a nice chance to shine as one of the films most humorous and enchanting characters. After losing all credibility, Charming has become a typecast second-rate dinner theater actor...playing himself. In one comical scene we see Charming use his talent for manipulation to convince the other folklore villains to join him on his crusade, giving characters like the Evil Step-sister and Captain Hook a tender look into their inner raw anger. Flamboyant animated villains have always held a special place in my heart, which is why I grinned when these villains reflected on the deep injustices they were dealt while their enemies got all the respect. Can’t an evildoer get some love?

Shrek's adventure to find Artie presents us with several original era crossover gags in the form of high school clichés. Shrek digs up Artie at Medieval high school where a few clueless girls call him “totally ew-eth”. There is also a hilarious run in with two geeks, one with a bad case of instant karma whenever he mocks someone. From here, we meet Merlin, an expelled whacked out magic teacher, who is out of touch and practice. The movie slows down in the middle giving Shrek and Artie a chance to bond, but it temporarily ruined the films momentum.

All of the computer animation is top-notch this time around. The mountain landscapes littered with castles and sunsets are so realistic and detailed. And of course there are the characters themselves, almost freakishly human in their expressions and texture. I’m not so sure I needed so many close up shots of Shrek’s leg and chest hair, but even that is grossly realistic. Nice work leg hair animators! And with the help of Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz, Eddie Murphy, Antonio Banderas and Rupert Everett the voice talents are at their most impressive yet. There is also great work done by new comers including Justin Timberlake as Artie, as well as SNL alumni Cheri Oteri, Amy Poehler, and Maya Rudolph giving Xena a run for her money as a team of female warrior princesses.

While Shrek The Third may not be the best Shrek yet, it is consistently funny and sprinkled with tear inducing comedy. There are a few scenes that seem even funnier than the gags in the first two films: one involves The Gingerbread Man's near death experience and another is a nightmare Shrek has about babies of all things. On it's opening weekend Shrek the Third pummeled its own record for the biggest opening weekend for a cartoon, which probably means Shrek the Fourth is on its way. I don't know how much longer Shrek can keep up this success, but for now I'll say long live the king!

B

No comments: